Ref #: R-PH-ALB-2
PHOTO ALBUM AND AWARDS FOR SENIOR NCO NAVY HERMANN SCHMIDT
He joined the Navy in 1936 and served with the 1.S.Flott. till he was transferred to the 3.S.Flott. in 1939 (?). This unit operated till May 41 in the west (Netherlands, Belgium, France) and was then transferred to the Baltic, where boats of the 3.Flott. destroyed two Russian freighters on 23-6-41, a Russian Submarine on 25-6-41 and two Russian Destroyers on 27-6-41. Nov.41 the 3.S.Flott. was transferred to the Mediterranean (via the rivers Rhine and Rhone!) where the unit stayed till the end of the war. Schmidt served 1943 aboard the "S-36" as 2nd in command under Lt. 1st Cl. Horst Weber. He also apparently served aboard the "S-33" considering the extract regarding the actions of that boat with the group. The "S-33" claimed the destruction of an allied Destroyer on 20-7-43 off Sicily (not confirmed by allied sources).
After the loss of North Africa (a total of 131 combat days for the "S-33"), the 3.S-Flott. was active around Malta and Sicily and later in the northern part of the Mediterranean such as southern France (Marseille, Toulon), the Adriatic Sea and the Thyrrenean Sea, also some action against partisans in Istria.
Hermann Schmidt, Senior NCO. Navy. Motortorpedoboats.
1) Medal of the 1st Oct. 1938, 1-9-39. Signed by the CO. of the 1.S.Flott., Lt.Comm.Kurt Sturm.
2) Iron Cross 2nd Cl., 2-7-41. Signed by the CO. of the Fleet, Admiral Otto Schniewind (Kn.Cr.:20-4-40).
3) E-Boat Badge, 4-10-41. Luxury 1st type issue decorated with gold-coloured oakleaves and a drawing of the 1st type badge with gold-coloured rim. RARE!.
4) Iron Cross 1st Cl., 16-2-43. Signed by the German Naval CO. in Italy, Vice-Admiral Eberhard Weichold.
5) Cufftitle "Afrika", 12-10-43. VERY RARE Navy issue. Signed by the CO> of the German Navy Command in Italy, Commodore Wilhelm Meendsen-Bohlken (Kn.Cr.: 15-5-44).
6) Motortorpedoboat "S-33 records extract, typewritten and not dated, confirming the ops. In Mediterranean from Dec.41-Aug.43 and the scoringslist of the "S-33" (2 merchant ships, 1 Submarine and 3 Destroyers!).
7) "Deutscher Marinebund" (post WW-2 Navy Vets.Org.) Honour Badge for 25 yrs. Of membership.Two different issues, one dated Dec. 1959.
8) Superb large (+30 X 43 cm) photo-album with suede leather cover with brass decorations with engravings of crossed anchors, an Iron Cross, "1936-45" and "H.Schmidt" The album contains + 390 photos!: A.o. many photos regarding the actions of the 3.S.Flott. in the west (Netherlands, Belgium, northern France), Baltic and the Mediterranean. Photos of VIPs like Hitler, Admiral Raeder and high decorated E-Boat service officers such as Lt. 1st Cl. Siegfried Wuppermann (Kn.Cr.: 3-8-41; Oakl.: 14-4-43) and Lt.Comm. Friedrich Kemnade (Kn.Cr.: 23-7-42; Oakl.: 27-5-43). Many photos with handwritten explanatory text and comments. Incl. newspaper cuttings regarding E-Boat actions, etc. Very well researchable photo-album of considerable historical value!.
9) + 50 other photos, the majority of which regarding ships of the post WW-2 West-German Navy and some original WW-2 ones.
GREAT PHOTO ALBUM WITH LOTS OF PICTURES AND AWARDS.